Friday 21 October 2011

Ash

So let me tell you what happened last night.

I have a favourite band. I think we all do. But my favourite band isn't all that popular. You may not have heard of them, which is understandable. They are called Ash. They are from northern Ireland and have been around a while, about 15 years (I think '96) was their first release).

I discovered them in 2001 when I saw their song called Burn Baby Burn on I think a music channel called Q. I immediately fell in love with them and they've been my favourite band ever since

Anyways, they were doing a gig in Birmingham last night, which I knew about for a while, but didn't want to spend much more money this month so didn't get tickets. But what I didn't knew about was they were also doing a signing there, in HMV, like they did a few years ago the last time I saw then and got an album signed.

But I found out early that day, a few hours before the gig. Tidied my self up for my man, Tim Wheeler (lead singer and guitarist) and set off to see then.

Last time I saw them, they also played some songs and I was hopeful to see then do more this time. They didn't, even though I'd brought my Asus transformer to record it. I was going to take my usual HD camera, but the SD card keeps popping out. I'm currently looking for a cheap decent HD camcorder.

Anyways, I bought their new album, which is a lot like they old one, Intergalactic Sonic 7s, but not as good, waited in line to see them (after looking at cameras in Currys), and went in when it was time.

I hand the cover of the CD to Rick McMurray (drummer), he said "Alright?", I said it back. He signed it, passed it along to Charlotte Hatherley (ex backing singer, pianist, backing guitar), she signed it, passed it along, smiled at me, i smiled back (she clearly wanted to ravage me). Tim, signed it. Then he notices what I was wearing. I'd specifically put on my Ash hoodie, just in case someone noticed it. Tim did and said "Nice jacket, there". I smiled like an idiot. He then passed it to Mark Hamilton (bassist). He didn't do say or do anything.





So they handed it back. i left with a big smile, feeling very happy. I had just met my favourite band for a second time. I really should go to more of their gigs

1 comment:

  1. Hi My name is Dave Spalding. Ive seen all the big groups live from the Beatles , The Who, Yes,Stones
    etc etc but Ash are just my Numero Uno.
    Got all their stuff on vinyl , CD , you name it.
    Met them a couple of years ago at a meet and greet in Broughty Ferry during their A-Z tour.Nice blokes
    Best bit -Petrol ,when the fuzzed guitar breaks in - awsome.Great songs and just so underated.
    Just something exciting about their live gigs, quite a crude live sound but I like it that way.
    Fav song mmm difficult - Sometimes,Walking Barefoot,Dare to Dream, Petrol
    Check out Modest Mouse , and Fixers

    ReplyDelete